TX time! I finally put my first big project back at the top of the list.

Looking back at my post history, I noticed that the last time I posted anything about working on my 1973 Yamaha TX750 was in October of 2015. My dear wife has been on my case to get to it, not for the sake of getting it out of the garage. She feels sorry for the old girl and how I've neglected her pretty much since I picked her up. I've had the bike since April of 2008. So on the 8 year anniversary since her acquisition, I am making a vow to get her back on the road.


I've recycled the above pic several times. This is how the TX looked in January of 2014 before I found a critical problem with the transmission. I was calling this the 90% complete restoration point. She was road worthy with the exception of the trans issue. I had plates and insurance and all the gear to ride. I keep this pic on my home computer desktop as a motivator to finish what I started.


After I found the problem that ultimately pushed me down the road to a full engine rebuild, I bought the V-Strom so that I could have a daily rider. I've told friends that a vintage motorcycle is not a motorcycle, but a hobby in of itself. The weather was right so I pushed both bikes out into the sun for a photo op. Again, having this picture motivates me to get the TX fully complete and back on the road.


I pulled the engine in the summer of 2014 and it pretty much sat like that until October of 2015. I pulled the top end in October and then I started to focus on the Ninja race bike. The Ninja is ready to race so it is definitely time for the TX to rise again. I have started to remove the clutch assembly so that I can nibble at the disassembly a little every day. The 'fun' began right away as one of the clutch spring bolts stripped out and now I have to grind away at the head to break it off and get it out so the clutch removal can continue. Its a good thing I've found a network of parts suppliers that should allow me to rebuild this engine without searching for too many overpriced rare parts.

Stick around for more TX750 adventures as I get into the guts of the engine for a full rebuild.

Blue


Comments

Popular Posts