Land of the Rising Sun!

In an effort to get back to a regular posting cycle now that I've settled into my new life, I am up at daybreak, coffee in hand to crank out a post. If you have been keeping current with the blog, then you know I have moved to Yokosuka, Japan on orders with the Navy. In my most recent post, I got the blog's timeline up to the point of leaving California heading to Japan. If you have been following my Instagram page, then you have seen some of the cool things that I've experienced since getting here. In this post, I'll dive deeper into what I've been up to and give you, the reader a taste of Motorbike life here in the Land of the Rising Sun! Beware, this is a picture heavy post!!
First off, eye candy. Now that I am on the ground, I am constantly scoping out what bikes are available in my area. While at work around the base, I check out what the local employees ride. Parking in Japan is very hard to come by. The part of Japan I am in has some roads on the map that turn out to be walking paths in reality. In order to register a car you have to prove you have a parking spot. Then once you get a parking spot, you have to bring the car's measurements along with the parking spot's measurements to the local Police station to get a parking permit. This and the lower operating costs of a bike make riding two wheeled transport a very viable option. Here is a good spread of the type's of rides people choose. Scooters are plentiful. Smaller displacement bikes outnumber the bigger ones. The highest speed limit in this country is 80 kph which is a whopping 50 mph. And that is freeway riding! Not much call for a Hayabusa here, but they exist.
One thing I really like about Japan is that print media is still alive and well. Japan overall has a very high literacy rate when compared to other first world countries. Combine that and the large amount of time people spend on public transit means that bookstores are plentiful and very well stocked with all manner of enthusiast magazines. The catch is that you have to be able to read Japanese. I am working very hard on my literacy and my Google translate app makes life much easier than 20 years ago when I was first here. This magazine is a small bike and custom scooter magazine. They cover everything from custom parts installs to Honda Cub Endurance racing. I have slowly worked my way through this magazine just in time for the next two issues to be released. Hopefully my reading speed improves enough for me to keep current.
If you are into JDM cars and watch YouTube, you know that Japan has a pretty cool used car parts parts culture. The way the Ministry of Transportation does registration, it can get expensive to keep cars maintained and legal. One thing that happens is that someone adds a few custom touches in between registration and inspection periods and when the time comes to re-register they take the relatively good condition parts off the vehicle and sell them to the used parts store. You don't get much, but it is better than nothing. One store in particular, UP Garage, also does bike parts. Here my local store had a full line up of exhausts to choose from. Other cool parts are a complete frame and even a bosozoku style custom seat. If you want something, you'd better bring cash and snap it up when its there. The good stuff doesn't last long and the stores are pretty good about rotating stock to keep things interesting. I have already been twice and I don't even have a bike yet! I can't wait to shop here in earnest.
While out and about I also went to one of Japan's largest new and used bike retailers. Red Baron is a place that never fails to impress with their stock of awesome rides. The three bikes pictured here are just a few of almost 100 bikes in the store. They were packed so tight that these are the best pics I can get. At Red Baron I can pick up a used Harley dresser, a two stroke street racer and even a full dual sport ride. Just when I think I've settled on something to buy, I find something else to divert my attention and desire. I am experiencing an overload of choices and getting paralyzed by indecision. Since I have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get my motorcycle riding license as well as the issues with parking spots, I can't flip bikes every couple of months. I do intend to have multiple bikes during my time here. I just need to break the seal and get started.
I intend to try my hand at riding at the track while here. I need some type of transportation to haul the bike from home to track. Trailers are a no no here in Japan. Riding to the track to ride the track is just asking for trouble. The best compromise is to get a mini van. This is a Honda StepWagon and is one of the more popular choices. It has flip up third row seats. The second row seats fold forward and can be removed with two bolts each. Full sized sport bikes are no problem. For the types of bikes I am looking at for the track, this should be perfect.
 
Since I have a bunch of time to kill while waiting to buy a bike, I broke out the brew gear and whipped up some meads and a rice wine. I made a super quick session mead that is easy drinking and fermented pretty quickly. I also have a heavy mead, about 14% ABV, and a coffee mead going. I made some rice wine and have a nice liter of it clearing up and aging a bit before I chill it and give it a sip. I bought some cheap fishing gear to try my hand at what the sea has to offer. Being Japan, fishing and seafood is pretty popular. The base has some good fishing spots to try out. I spent $16 to get started and since then have spent another $50 or $60 to replace lures and upgrade my fishing line. My $10 pole is now worth double that thanks to some high strength line. I have thrown more lures into the ocean than I have pulled fish out of it. I have had just enough success to make me dump more money into the hobby and hope to bring home some food one of these days. Since motorcycle parking at the fishing spots is free, I may be able to combine these hobbies and save some cash doing it!

Well there you have it dear readers. I am alive and well and working to get back on the road. I am working hard and having fun. My wife and kids are settling in well and we are loving being back in Japan for more than a few weeks at a time. Soon enough the kids will be in school and the weather will cool a bit. I can't wait to get out and ride to the beach around the coast and enjoy the great roads Japan has to offer. Enjoy your summer and ride safe!

Blue.



Comments

Popular Posts