Changes, musings and self reflection.

    Astute followers of this blog might have noticed the differences in the posts lately. I'm under no delusions that I have an active following of loyal readers. While I have written this blog using the voice of one that has an audience. My true audience all these years has been myself. The page view numbers show that others have enjoyed my postings from time to time. I have never investigated much deeper into the numbers related to my viewership. I can only hope that the thoughts I have committed to HTML have brought some joy to some.

    As such, I have decided that as part of both getting more posts out and stilling a mind that seems to overflow with Motorbike Obsessions, I am simplifying my posts. Expect to find more text only posts. Shorter updates and fewer, in-depth project related content. I hope that as I go forward, I can provide some entertainment to those that have found my little piece of the internet.

    Enough with the musings and self reflection, on to the good stuff. Two posts ago I gave a summary of what I did to the CRF450R in the spring and early summer. Since moving to the Tampa area, I've decided to give supermoto another go. There are two kart tracks within an hour of me that do bike owner track time. There is even a mini-moto race league that could be my key to get back into racing. Since moving here I have concentrated on getting the CRF back into supermoto trim. I am going to start by using my flat track wheel set. The Shinko soft tires I have should be just fine if/until I get serious about competing. I've done it before at Apex back in California. To ride these tracks they require a full peg/bar/axle slider set. Since I wanted to keep this on a tight budget I made everything myself. The axle sliders are all-thread and old skateboard wheels. The peg sliders started off as an Amazon chunk of HDPE plastic that I mounted to the underside of the pegs using hardware from Home Depot. The bar end sliders are from the same material using well nuts to secure them to the inside diameter of my bars. I need to finish things off by modifying my grips for the bar end sliders and by changing out my coolant for some Engine Ice/Water Wetter and I should be good to go to get back out on track.

    With the Yamaha, I have been exploring the back roads around my new home. Florida doesn't have many curves, but I'm finding a few that get me out and having fun. I'm working on ergonomics with the FZ1. Since I will have to get into Georgia to ride some mountain curves, I'll need a better long distance set up. I've been playing with windscreen and peg combos. I even got some up & back risers for the bars. I found a Givi mount for a rear box for a hard luggage option. As a bonus my wife has expressed a desire to ride with me. She will feel safer with a top box to lean on. I have some maintenance to finish now that I have crested the 20,000 mile mark. Training is on my list of things to work on as well. I have found a trainer that should help me up my game in the area.

    My new job has been fun. Helping riders find the right gear and chatting about bikes for a 'living' is a good time. Getting paid for it and enjoying a very generous employee discount is a nice bonus. We have been busy as we are low on staff. It makes my shifts go quickly, but it can get pretty hectic. The weather has turned and while the fall here in Central Florida is nothing like other parts of the country, it is great weather to ride. If your weather is good, hopefully you are out there enjoying it. Stay safe!

Mat

Comments

Popular Posts