Thoughts on mail order and electric dirt bikes.

 It is the winter holiday season. Like most Americans, Amazon has become part of my shopping way of life. Aside from the gifts I was looking for, I added (and removed) something else from the online cart. The aborted purchase was the now ubiquitous Amazon dual sport and dirt bikes. Technically I’ve already purchased a couple of motorcycles from Amazon. Just last year I picked up a Razor MX650 to accompany the Razor MX350 purchased about 5 years previously. I have seen numerous videos on YouTube featuring the exploits and experiences of a handful of influencers after they purchased an Amazon dirt bike. Because of their videos I have been intrigued with the idea of having a new bike delivered right to my door.

 Since early 2021 as pandemic restrictions were starting to become more conducive to a relatively normal life, I was trying to do something new with my little Cub. Life in an ultra urban Tokyo suburb was getting to me and I found an off-road area where I could get out and do some free riding in the dirt. I built up my Cub into a mini off-road beast. After getting a taste of that freedom, the allure of dirt riding took hold. I got out and rode my dirt Cub three times before moving back to the states. Last year, riding high off of that energy, I re-converted the CRF450R back into dirt bike trim. The week before Christmas 2023 I finally got out on the Honda and rode it like a dirt bike. Now the dirt bug is in full swing and I want more.

 A cheap and quick way to get a dirt bike is to buy one off of Amazon. For something like $1,400 -$2,500 I can have a 150cc - 250cc bike with full size dirt tires at my front door within a couple of weeks. These are the ubiquitous Chinese pit bikes that we've all seen. I know that the chances of getting a piece of junk and losing out on a couple grand is high, but it's the gamble that is making this idea attractive.

HHH Apollo AGB-36 250cc Dirt Bike (Photo from Amazon listing)

 The other thing I have been debating since running the Cub through the woods is an electric dirt bike. Since getting the Razor MX650, bikes like the Sur Ron Light Bee, Talaria Sting and a bunch of other look-a-like bikes, Osset trials bikes, bigger Sur Rons like the Ultra Bee and the Storm Bee. Electric Motion trials bikes and even electric mountain bikes all have the silent appeal. Riding the Razor around our old neighborhood in Jacksonville with my daughter got me hooked on the silent ease of an electric bike. Recent troubles getting my kick start only CRF450R started also creates the urge for an electric powerplant. 

SurRon UltraBee (Photo by SurRon)

 What to do? Don't know. For now I'll play with my CRF and with my Mountain bike. I'll try and get out to the trails (either MTB or dirt bike) as much as I can and have some fun. Even puttering around the neighborhood trying to pop a wheelie is a good thing to entertain myself while building skills. Thanks for reading my random thoughts on the subject.

Later, Mat.

Comments

Popular Posts