Cutting, grinding, tweaking and sweeping.

I stole a few hours in the shop yesterday since I was able to take a half day off for Good Friday. I'm not religious, but I'll take any free time off work that I can. While out there I made more cuts on the cake pan to shape it into a belly pan. Saunter on down to see what I accomplished.


First up was using a variety of flap disks, grinding wheels, sanding drums and tin snips to further refine my very rough cuts from the last time. I needed to do some size shaping and to de-bur all of the edges. There was a lot of trial and error when choosing the correct metal shaping tool for the job, but thankfully I have built up my tool chest enough to have options and I got the cake pan shaped enough to start planning my detail cuts. The tin snips are right handed and did a great job on the left side of the pan. On the right side they got in the way of themselves and mangled the cut. I guess a more complete set of snips will be going on my list for my next Harbor Freight run.


After a good 45 minutes of various shaping work I was able to fit the cake pan in place to the lower fairing on the bike. You can see the rough edges left by the tin snips on the right hand side of the pan. This fit up told me I have to shape the cut outs for the exhaust pies on both sides a  bit more. As well, I need to trim back the center section to expose the exhaust header bolts a bit more. That way I don't have to remove the belly pan to remove the exhaust headers.


The left side of the cake pan trimmed really neatly with my tin snips. In this pic you can see how I plan to wrap the sides of the cake pan around the inside of the lower fairing to complete the rear dam. I will have to seal up the lower outer corners on both sides to ensure I don't get any weeping between the metal and plastic. When the bike gets warm, I expect the metal to flex and expand which could cause some issues with the plastic resulting in some of the seems opening up. I also want to layer the bottom of the belly pan with oil absorbent matting as an extra safety precaution against oil getting out.


Switching over to my pneumatic die grinder and stones, I was able to get the rough out cuts for the exhaust pipes to fit even better. This is where I left the bike before coming in for dinner. I think I'll touch it up a bit more before I call it good. I will also do some hammer and dolly work to ensure I have straight edges where I need them to mate up to the plastic. Once I finish up with the shaping, I want to clean it all up and get the cake pan riveted/glued into place. Next up will be the side vents and the front opening. Last will be paint and pretty work.

Stick around as I plan on getting a bunch more done this weekend. See you!

Blue

Comments

Popular Posts